Authentic to surf culture & lifestyle. Authentic surf culture and lifestyle is recognised by the definitive culture that surrounds it as a sport.
Mainstream vs. Authentic Nature
Surfing has become so mainstream and recognized as one of the fastest growing sports in the world. But the true authentic nature lies behind the surfers lifestyle. Surf culture can be symbolised as the type of people who participate in the lifestyle as well as the fashion, language and surrounding nature.
I wouldn’t label surfing as a sport but as a way of life. There is a competitive side to it nowadays with contests and the professional world tour that as a surfer, we all love to follow, but we surfers at heart recognize it as a lifestyle and a way of life. Only 1% of surfers in the world are paid to surf, the remaining 99% do it out of pure enjoyment of connecting with the ocean and its authentic lifestyle and culture.
Surfing should be embodied through a specific set of behaviours that represent surfing as a lifestyle. The framework can be built around the idea that surfing is a privilege that should play a large role in your life only benefiting your life and health in a positive way.
Surfing is almost seen as a spiritual connection due to the way we are able to indulge completely into the unmatched energy of the ocean. Surfing in this sense can be seen as an escape as well as a connection with nature that creates these remarkable, lucid emotions towards the activity and the ocean. Our oceans demand respect and warrant us to honor these responsibilities as privileges rather than products of our environment.
Lifestyle & Culture
To participate in surfing and the associated lifestyle should change the way we appreciate where we live and are fortunate enough to end up where we are now, fully immersed in the surfing lifestyle and its culture. As surfers it’s important to stay loyal to its true authentic lifestyle and culture and continue to personally connect with the concept of living in the environment that directly enhances your lifestyle and cultural understandings.